Martin is an experienced senior civil servant and competition policy specialist. He currently writes, teaches, and advises those interested in competition issues and in building strong government institutions. He recently served as interim Chief Executive (and briefly as Acting Governor) of the Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands, a British Overseas Territory.
Martin has been Chief Executive of:
- the Competition Commission,
- the Postal Services Commission, and
- the Better Regulation Executive.
He was previously Principal Private Secretary in (what is now) the Department for Business, during a career in which he also successfully supported the development of the UK vehicle manufacturing and offshore oil/gas sectors, and put in place a major expansion of industry-education links. He has also held non-exec appointments with American Express and IBM, and as non-executive Chairman of Atmaana, a company that supported senior executives as they deliver critical projects.
Martin serves on:
- the Committee of Management of the Regulatory Policy Institute, and
- the International Sounding Board of Dubai’s education authority and regulator: the Knowledge and Human Development Authority.